Abode Communities embodies an organizational culture of promoting innovation as a means to deepen its impact. To us, innovation is more than just “think tanks” and “brainstorming.” It’s about strategizing actionable ways to increase access to affordable housing, improving the livelihoods of low-income people, and investing in the long-term prosperity of underserved communities.
Our ability to navigate unpredictable economic shifts since the 1960s demonstrates Abode Communities’ unrelenting commitment to community development. Through this time, the organization has continued to lead the industry by:
- Harnessing the power and synergy of its four core professional disciplines – real estate, architecture, property management and resident services;
- Co-locating affordable housing with healthcare clinics and childcare centers to improve access to affordable basic services;
- Strategizing transit-oriented development to improve access to economic opportunity;
- Developing meaningful and lasting partnerships with unlikely land owners to create mutually beneficial, joint-use affordable housing developments;
- Addressing the permanent housing and service needs of special populations such as formerly homeless, at-risk of homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, youth transitioning out of the foster care system, and the mentally/physically disabled; and
- Restoring blighted historic buildings and rehabilitating office space for use as affordable housing.