Abode Communities’ housing developments are designed with you, our residents, in mind. We use environmental sustainability as a means to improve your health, link you to community resources, reduce your utility costs, and foster a culture of environmental responsibility so that your local community and the global environment at-large can thrive.
Did You Know?
As a resident, there are added opportunities for you to deepen the environmental impact of your home, most of which result in direct costs savings to you:
- Where applicable, get to know your property’s “Green Living Guide,” which provides tips and tools for
maximizing the efficiency of your appliances and fixtures;
- Turn off lights in unoccupied rooms, water when brushing your teeth, and power when electronics are not in use;
- Use fans instead of air conditioning; if air conditioning is needed, keep indoor temperatures at 76ᵒ or higher
during summertime, 68ᵒ or lower during wintertime
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with Compact CFL/LED lightbulbs;
- Buy in bulk using reusable containers and bags; and
- Avoid toxic products by making your own household materials.
Other Resources Are Available!
- Cities sometimes offer rebates and discounts on energy-saving and reusable materials such as compact
CFL/LED lightbulbs and reusable bags;
- Some recycling centers will pay you to recycle;
- Bulk products can usually be purchased online for even deeper savings;
- Dollar Stores have great deals on glass masonry jars and other reusable plastic containers;
- Social media sites and phone apps provide access to reuse groups, and offer free or deeply discounted items; and
- Where applicable, your resident services coordinator can help you identify additional resources and opportunities.